- The Nigerian film industry, also known as Nollywood, has a rich history of female contributions. Female actors, directors, producers, and writers have played a significant role in shaping Nollywood into the thriving industry it is today.One of the early pioneers of Nigerian cinema was Ola Balogun, who directed the first internationally recognized Nigerian film, “Ajani Ogun.” Balogun’s wife, Dr. Abiola Irele, was also a significant figure in the development of Nigerian cinema. Irele was a professor of African, French, and Comparative Literature at Harvard University, and she played a crucial role in promoting African cinema in the United States.In the 1990s, the Nigerian film industry experienced a surge in popularity, and female filmmakers began to emerge as major players in the industry. One of the most notable female filmmakers was Amaka Igwe, who directed the groundbreaking film “Rattlesnake” in 1995. Igwe went on to become one of the most successful and influential filmmakers in Nollywood, producing and directing numerous films and television shows.Other notable female filmmakers in Nigeria include Mildred Okwo, who directed the critically acclaimed film “The Meeting,” and Kemi Adetiba, who directed the box office hit “King of Boys.”
Female actors have also played a significant role in Nollywood’s success. Some of the most popular and successful actresses in Nollywood include Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, Mercy Johnson, and Funke Akindele-Bello. These actresses have starred in some of the most popular and highest-grossing Nigerian films.ADVERTISEMENT
In recent years, female filmmakers have also been at the forefront of efforts to address the lack of diversity and representation in Nollywood. The “50/50 by 2020” initiative, launched in 2018 by a group of female filmmakers, aims to achieve gender parity in the Nigerian film industry by 2020. Although the initiative did not meet its target, it has raised awareness about the importance of gender equity in Nollywood and has helped to spur on further progress in this area.
The Top 10 Young Female Nigerian Actresses
- Regina Daniels – Regina Daniels was born in 2000 in Delta State, Nigeria. She started acting at the age of seven, and has since appeared in over 100 Nollywood movies. She is one of the most popular and successful young actresses in Nigeria.
- Sharon Ooja – Sharon Ooja was born in Benue State, Nigeria in 1991. She studied mass communication at Houdegbe North American University, Benin. She started her acting career in 2013 and has since starred in several Nollywood movies and TV shows.
- Nancy Isime – Nancy Isime was born in Edo State, Nigeria in 1991. She started her career as a model before venturing into acting. She has since become one of the most sought-after actresses in Nigeria and has won several awards for her performances.
- Ini Dima-Okojie – Ini Dima-Okojie was born in Lagos State, Nigeria in 1990. She started her career as an investment banker before pursuing her passion for acting. She has since appeared in several Nollywood movies and TV shows.
- Adesua Etomi-Wellington – Adesua Etomi-Wellington was born in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria in 1988. She studied drama at the University of Wolverhampton in the United Kingdom before returning to Nigeria to pursue her acting career. She has since become one of the most popular actresses in Nigeria and has won several awards for her performances.
- Somkele Iyamah-Idhalama – Somkele Iyamah-Idhalama was born in Lagos State, Nigeria in 1989. She started her career as a model before venturing into acting. She has since appeared in several Nollywood movies and TV shows and has won several awards for her performances.
- Bimbo Ademoye – Bimbo Ademoye was born in Lagos State, Nigeria in 1991. She started her acting career in 2014 and has since starred in several Nollywood movies and TV shows.
- Jemima Osunde – Jemima Osunde was born in Lagos State, Nigeria in 1997. She started her career as a model before venturing into acting. She has since appeared in several Nollywood movies and TV shows.
- Sharon Ifedi – Sharon Ifedi was born in Anambra State, Nigeria in 1996. She started her acting career in 2015 and has since appeared in several Nollywood movies and TV shows.
- Zainab Balogun – Zainab Balogun was born in London, United Kingdom in 1989 to Nigerian parents. She moved to Nigeria in 2014 to pursue her acting career and has since appeared in several Nollywood movies and TV shows.
These young Nigerian actresses have become popular due to their talent, beauty, and hard work in the Nigerian entertainment industry.
- Emtee – Roll Up (Remix) ft. Wizkid, AKA
- DJ Maphorisa & Kabza De Small – Sponono ft. Wizkid, Burna Boy, Cassper Nyovest
- Master KG – Jerusalema (Remix) ft. Burna Boy, Nomcebo
- DJ Tarico & Burna Boy – Yaba Buluku (Remix) ft. Preck, Nelson Tivane
- Ayra Starr – Bloody Samaritan(Remix) ft Sun-EL Musician
- Afro Brotherz – 16 Shooter
- J Clu – Heavenly
- De Couple SA – Thiba Thiba ft. DJ Sunco & Queen Jenny
- Mr JazziQ Ft. TNK Musiq, Dj Maphorisa & Visca – Pitori 012
- Kabza De Small & Stakev Ft. DJ Maphorisa – Rekere 4 (Reloaded)
- DJ Maphorisa Ft. TNK MusiQ, Daliwonga & Nokwazi – Ama Cocktail (Real Nox revist)