Taylor Swift concert organizers are dealing with a devastating ‘water ban’ investigation request from the father of a deceased fan
Taylor Swift’s concert managers are facing a painful request from the father of a fan who died during her hot Brazil performance to know whether the audience was barred from bringing water into the play.
Ana Clara Benevides, 23, is believed to have fainted before her death on Friday while watching Swift, 33, perform as part of her ‘Eras Tour’ at the Estádio Nilton Santos in Rio de Janeiro in temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius.
Her dad Weiny Machado, 53, has now told the Brazilian newspaper Folha de S.Paulo about how he wants answers over her shock passing: “I lost my only daughter, a happy and intelligent girl. She was about to graduate in psychology next April, saving money.
“I have no words to express my pain. She left home to fulfill a dream and came back dead.”
Opening up about how he wants an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Benevides’ death, he said: “I want it to be found out whether they were in fact prohibited from bringing water, whether there was negligence in providing assistance.”
According to Folha de S.Paulo, Benevides fainted while she was in the front row for Swift’s show and was “resuscitated at the stadium for about 40 minutes” before suffering a second cardiac arrest while on the way to a hospital.
Benevides reportedly died shortly after arriving at a local hospital, with the Spanish paper reporting the heat index at the stadium “reached 60C” – 140F – and firefighters reportedly “counted a thousand faintings during the event”.
Fans filled social media with claims they had been prohibited from bringing water bottles into the stadium.
In multiple fan footage posted online over the weekend, Swift could be seen stopping her show several times to ask for water on behalf of her fans, who were chanting for refreshment at one point.
A clip also showed Swift struggling for breath after performing her hit ‘Bejeweled’.
Swift said in her announcement on Saturday about canceling her second scheduled gig at the stadium that night: “I’m writing this from my dressing room in the stadium. The decision has been made to postpone tonight’s show due to the extreme temperatures in Rio.
“The safety and wellbeing of my fans, fellow performers and crew always has to come first.”
It’s unclear when the concert will take place as no more information was given.
Hours earlier, Swift used another Instagram Story to tell fans she was “overwhelmed” by grief over Benevides’ death.
- Boney M – Feliz Navidad
- Kamo Mphela – Dalie Ft. Khalil Harrison, Tyler ICU & Baby S.O.N
- Shaunmusiq, Ftears & Daliwonga – Howa You ft. Myztro & XDuppy
- Emtee – Roll Up (Remix) ft. Wizkid, AKA
- DJ Maphorisa & Kabza De Small – Sponono ft. Wizkid, Burna Boy, Cassper Nyovest
- DJ Tarico & Burna Boy – Yaba Buluku (Remix) ft. Preck, Nelson Tivane
- Ayra Starr – Bloody Samaritan(Remix) ft Sun-EL Musician
- Tyla – Water
- Fiso El Musica – Halaal Flavour #054 Mix (100% Production Mix)
- Aymos Ft. Blaq Diamond & Dj Radix – Ukhisimusi
- Nandipha808 – Ivale Mfana Ft. Djy Fresh , Dot Mega & Ceeka RSA
- Kabza De Small ft Young Stunna & Nkosazana Daughter – Msholozi uyinkosi
- Aymos ft Jessica LM – Amandla
- Tyler ICU, Tumelo ZA – Mnike ft. DJ Maphorisa, Nandipha808, Ceeka RSA & Tyron Dee