After leading 1-0 at halftime, Stellenbosch FC defeated Richards Bay 2-1 in the DStv Premiership match at the Daniel Craven Stadium in the Winelands on Tuesday evening.


Stellenbosch entered the game in 12th place in the standings, but with this win, they will move up to ninth. Richards Bay will stay stuck in 15th place.

Iqraam Rayners, Stellenbosch’s star goalmouth poacher, opened the score just before the half-hour mark (1-0).

Visiting Richards Bay had a few attacking sorties but failed to make a breakthrough in the final third as Stellenbosch’s center defense kept the upper hand. As a result, Richards Bay attempted a couple of long-range shots but failed to score.

Richards Bay avoided further harm as Stellenbosch threatened more goals in the final minutes of the first half.

Richards Bay stunned Stellenbosch by equalizing from the penalty spot early in the second half, but the deadlock was short-lived as that man Rayners again intervened and snatched his second goal of the match just beyond the hour mark (2-1).

Following this loss, Richards Bay battled hard for an equalizer, but the Stellenbosch defense held firm and their lead remained intact.

In the meantime, Stellenbosch’s neighbors Cape Town City defeated visiting Chippa United 2-1 at the Cape Town Stadium on Tuesday evening, after leading 1-0 at halftime.

Following this result, City will remain in fourth place, and Chippa will remain in seventh place.

Following a few promising attacking sorties deep into the Chippa half, Thabiso Kutumela handed City a deserving 1-0 lead seven minutes before halftime.

As it turned out, it was the game’s only shot on target in the first half. Chippa failed to produce a single shot at goal, which was not surprising because City had the lion’s share of possession.

Midway through the second half, Chippa grabbed the equaliser when City old boy Craig Martin scored (1-1).

A minute ahead of regulation time City striker Khanyisa Mayo headed home what turned out to be the eventual winner after a fine goalmouth cross from defender Marc van Heerden.